21 September 2007

Hired.

I was pretty sure that I was supposed to hear back from Il Spazio mid-last-week, so when the week ended and I hadn't heard from them, I completely let it go. My pride was a little hurt, but it was good to work through that with God. I had asked him to have his way in the matter; only he knew what would really be best for me. The series of events around me applying for the job had seemed very spirit-led, but my thoughts are not his thoughts. If I didn't get the job, he was in control of that. So I released the illusion of pride once again, and was submissive and content.

So two days ago, as I was sitting in a Starbucks in Chicago with Ashley D. & Meredith, I got a call from Steve at Il Spazio asking if I was interested in working as a barista at the coffee bar in the restaurant. "Umm...yeah, sure!" We made plans for me to come in and meet him at 10:00 Friday morning.

I just got home from that. Steve gave me a tour of the whole place (it's going to be amazing), we chatted about coffee, espresso machines, farming, employee management, past work...and he told me to consider myself hired.

What a turnaround! I had so let go of that! But I'm so excited about it now. I really do love working in coffee. It's a skill set that I've acquired and I love the whole coffee culture.

So if all goes as hoped, I can work there in the mornings, be at my parents' in the afternoons to spend time with Alison after school, and then still have the evenings free. When I need to go to Chicago on a day I'm scheduled to work I can call around to my coworkers to find someone to cover my shift. I told Steve that that may happen from time to time, and he was fine with it as long as my shift is covered.

So I'm back in the coffee business!

2 comments:

nataliemma said...

Yay Congrats!! It's funny how things happen like that- you're disappointed, you work through it, let yourself let go, and God's like "GOOD! HERE IT IS!" God... He's a trickster. In the best possible way to make us grow :)

I can't wait to visit you there! How many hours do you think you'll work? Coffeehouse hours usually start pretty early - do yours? I still want to work (and one day open) a coffeehouse. I'll prob need to hire you as my coffee expert & right hand woman. Maybe I'll work on business plans while I'm bored at work.

Good to talk to you & Chrissie ever-so-briefly Friday afternoon!

Anonymous said...

I KNOW!

the letting go and then God being "ok, thanks, here it is"...

SO MANY things in life are like that. it's incredible how many times that general pattern has occurred.

i'll probably work the morning shift starting at 7am. i don't know how many hours yet--since i had let it go, i'm just like, up for whatev!

you know we share the coffeehouse dream! i seriously hope we work together in realizing it.