06 May 2008

Polaroid instant camera status: Secured.

Thanks, Camera Land (our local camera shop on the Square), for having one used Polaroid camera in stock, waiting to be taken home by me. Now I just have to buy film (Camera Land did not carry any instant film). And as far as the rumors go about Poloaroid soon ending production of their instant film, it appears to be true. However, as the man at Camera Land told me, and as I have verified, Fujifilm continues to produce it. ::relief::

I want to use Polaroid photos in my arts & crafts; we will wait to see the fruition of that.

Along the same lines, to my great joy, Countywide Office Supply (where I purchased my label maker) had my typewriter ribbons in stock. I was definitely expecting to need to order it. Local businesses are magical places.

Since procuring the typewriter in January (from my mother & father-in-law's basement) it has opened a new door in my creative expression. There is something about writing in physical reality on paper, at the speed of typing, and with the clarity and uniformity of typed text. The look of typewriter text is classic and evocative and tangible. I have been taking pages of beautiful catalogs or drawings and typing scripture or poems or other text on them (example to the right). I've written cards & letters with it, and I find the typewriter the easiest way to do creative writing or to journal. I love it.

Speaking of arts & crafts, I'm going to take another art class at Western this fall. I'm definitely ready to return to that.


Update:

Film secured. Walgreen's is still carrying the Polaroid instant film; who knows for how long? Hopefully when it's no longer produced they (or someone) will carry the Fujifilm instant film. And wow: expensive. Each picture is to be used wisely.

I carefully chose my first shot: the view out our front door. Isn't it beautiful? I can't believe the beauty of nature we get to live in here in humble university housing. Our outside surroundings definitely make up for the couple of flaws inside the apartment.

3 comments:

scintillating madness said...

your typewriter-on-poster stuff id neat. i did a few similar things in graphic design a few years back, primo stuff.

how much was the film? isn't like something on the order of a buck a picture?

Anonymous said...

that's cool you did something similar in a design class. how much graphic design stuff did you do in college?

the film was $16 for 10 pictures, before tax. it was probably a buck a picture a couple of years ago before a buck was so weak.

i did ride my bike to walgreens to get the film, so at least there's no fuel cost to calculate into it. :)

nataliemma said...

yay! I'm so glad to hear of your artistic endeavors. I enjoy all of the pictures you post, so thanks for the extra effort!

Also, I'm so happy to hear that you are taking an art class this fall. Go for it! Learning is fantastic.

Love you much.