16 June 2007

I'm a ramblin' man.

I got home yesterday morning from my four days in Chicago....exhausted from a late, wonderful night with Meredith. I went straight out to my parents' to see them off for their 30th anniversary Alaskan cruise. I then had a couple of hours at home before Young Marrieds' Fellowship hosted by Jason & Ginger.

Keith and I were about to get to bed at a decent time when we started reading aloud together The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. 50 pages later, we went to bed too late. We got up relatively early (7:something) this morning (still very exhausted) to get packed and head to Bloomington-Normal. Today was the beautiful wedding of Michael O'Brien and Erin Simpson. Keith got to go the driving range with the guys when we got over here, and I got to buy a new pair of shoes because I forgot mine. I got some fabulous blue wedges at Target for like $13.

The wedding was in a place called Funks Grove and absolutely gorgeous. It was out in the woods. The pews were enormous logs. The alter was made from small logs. The table with the guestbook & programs was a huge stump. The trees formed a ceiling with sunlight filtering through over this small forested chapel. Just gorgeous. A little warm today, but totally worth it. The reception was very fun, too. And indoors, so a little cooler. We got to hang out with my UIC BFF, Sharon, and her fiance, Andrew, who is one of Keith's BFFs (but he would never call him that) and the twin brother of the groom. (BTW, Sharon & Andrew met at our wedding...and now they're getting married. We feel like proud parents.)

Also at the wedding we saw Evan & Ronni, whom I haven't seen in years. And we had a great time with them. We hung out with them from after the ceremony through the whole reception. For anyone who knows this part of our history, you know that tonight I am feeling a huge sense of resolution. Tonight I am feeling closure in a very large, long struggle. Tonight I am praising God. Tonight I am feeling f r e e d o m. I keep having those deep, happy sighs.

So now we're back at Dave Rawlins' where we're staying. We're hanging out with Dave & his little sister Mindy. I've been hearing about how some of Dave's friends in high school *cough-Meredith-cough* would beg Dave to take Mindy with them to go do girl stuff and then try to get her to spill some coveted information about the secret life of David Rawlins. Has anyone ever heard of this?

My little sister, Ali, is with our big brother Marcus in Chicago for the weekend (as Mom & Dad fly northwest and set sail) and then we'll be staying with her at my parents' house for the week. We're meeting up with Marcus tomorrow afternoon somewhere on I-55 to make the trade. Then...Keith and I may just have to take her to Chuck E. Cheese's, since she had to miss out on that for her birthday this year. (Actually, Keith just is using her--he's the one who wants to go.) (Which I can understand, I mean, it is where I celebrated my own 15th.)

Tomorrow morning we're going to church with Dave. Then maybe Monday morning I will get to sleep as long as I want and get fully rested again. As long as Ali doesn't wake me up.

3 comments:

MeredithJoy said...

hmmmm. . .
I have never heard of this.
Who is this Meredith you speak of?
She sounds like a pretty cool gal, and I think if a certain Dave Rawlins wasn't so elusive and secretive in H.S. she wouldn't have had to put her investigative skills to such use.
But that is just my observation.

nataliemma said...

Wow, I can picture a small, gorgeous wedding there in that grove! How picturesque and cozy!
I love that you & Keith read aloud to one another. What a great idea. I hope to adopt that into my family one day. And, by the way, what an awesome book! I can understand why you can't not read it!
I am SO HAPPY to hear about your great evening spent with Evan & Ronni!!!! Right when I read that, I knew how much that meant to you. Resolution. That makes me happy sigh, too.
A nice thunderstorm outside. I am getting so excited for Cstone! Spending the weekend in the rustic small town or no town of southern MO made me crave my Bushnell... it has been so long. That's just not right. :(
Miss you! I love your postings!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much.

That is so encouraging.