27 November 2007

I love learning new words!

After this post on the UO blog, I had to look up the meaning of esoteric. I'm so glad I did. I was familiar with the word, but not its definition. I feel like it would be a very useful adjective to have on hand:
es·o·ter·ic (ěs'ə-těr'ĭk) Pronunciation Key
adj.
    1. Intended for or understood by only a particular group: an esoteric cult. See Synonyms at mysterious.
    2. Of or relating to that which is known by a restricted number of people.
    3. Confined to a small group: esoteric interests.
    4. Not publicly disclosed; confidential.
    1. Confined to a small group: esoteric interests.
    2. Not publicly disclosed; confidential.


[Greek esōterikos, from esōterō, comparative of esō, within; see en in Indo-European roots.]

es'o·ter'i·cal·ly adv.


Feel free to practice using it in a sentence right here.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi! My name is Amy, and I randomly came across your blog today. I don't know you at all, and I live hours away from you, but I have really enjoyed reading parts of your blog. I am a Christian in theatre, and I identify with a lot of your writing. I hope that you are doing well, and that you are seeing God working in your life, family, and career!

Amy said...

ps. even our about me sections are similar! :)